You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.
Skip to the main content

Tree removal and pruning on private property

A planning permit is generally required for the pruning or removal of trees within the City of Knox.

Planning controls

Council has many planning controls on land that protect trees and vegetation.

You can be fined if you breach these planning controls.

Find out what planning controls apply to your land by doing a property and parcel search on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.

Previous development

Trees and plants on land with previous development are protected through the plans that were approved at the time. For example:

  • dual occupancy development
  • multi-unit development

This includes landscape plans.

In this case, Council must give you written approval or you'll need to amend the plans.

Contact our Planning Services team before you start.

Apply for a permit

Planning Services need specific information to decide if you need a planning permit.

You'll need to tell them the:

  • type of tree
  • height of the tree
  • health of the vegetation.

Use our checklist to see what other information we may need.

To lodge a planning application online, you must be a registered user

Register for online services

Apply for a tree removal or pruning permit

Planning permit applications can also be lodged at the Council offices.

Bushfire prevention

If you own property in high-risk areas, you'll probably need to prepare a bushfire management plan.

This might mean thinking about removing trees or native vegetation.

If you're in this position, our Planning Services team can help.

Need help?

Contact Planning Services and we will get back to you.

Or call our Planning Services team on 9298 8000.

Our services


Stay up to date with our newsletter

subscribe icon