Knox Your City
Skip Links
Visit our LinkedIn pageContact Knox City Council
Footpath at Mountain Gate Shopping Centre

Commercial Use of Footpaths

Knox City Council supports the conduct of footpath activity associated with established businesses throughout strip shopping centres and other business activity areas. These activities are regulated by a permit process and include outdoor dining areas, displaying goods for sale, or signs placed out on Council Land.

What sorts of activities does the Council allow on footpaths?

A range of activities are permitted, including:

  • A-Frame sign displays.
  • Kerbside cafes
  • Outdoor dining.
  • Goods displays.
  • Street stalls.
  • Displays of planter boxes.

Outdoor Dining

An Outdoor Dining Permit allows for the placement of street furniture on Council Land. These items can include tables and chairs, cafe barriers, umbrellas, heaters and planter boxes. To ensure pedestrian access, and that community safety and amenity is not compromised, the placement of any items against the property line/shop front is prohibited.

Council is working on expanding outdoor dining opportunities in Knox to help hospitality businesses cater for more customers and operate within Victorian Government COVID health restrictions.

There is currently a $0 permit fee until 31 August 2021 for an outdoor dining permit. For more information and how to apply, please visit our Outdoor Dining page

The Pedestrian Zone

Pedestrian safety in these areas is a priority and Council recognises that adequate controls need to be established and enforced to ensure that public safety is not compromised and that pedestrians have ‘a continuous and uninterrupted path of travel’ along footpaths/walkways. This area is located against the proprty line/shop front and is known as the ‘Pedestrian Zone’. The Pedestrian Zone must be at least 1.5 metres wide (dependent of footpath width) and kept free from any items, including signs, goods, tables or chairs.

How do I get permission to place items on the footpath?

Permit application forms can be downloaded below.

Your application must include the following:

  • A copy of your Public Liability Insurance showing a minimum of $20 million and must list Knox City Council as an interested party.
  • A sketch plan of preferred location of advertising sign, display of goods, or chairs & tables.
  • Payment of the relevant fees (please note that the application component of the fee is non-refundable if permit is refused).
Powered by