Buildings built before December 2004 do not need a termite barrier. However is strongly recommended for building owners to carry out regular checks of their property or engage a professional.
Termite barriers prevent termites from getting into a structure. Barriers can be both physical and chemical.
Termites damage buildings and furnishings. They can destroy a wall and roofing timbers of a house within months.
All property owners should have regular termite checks.
Termites feed on material like:
- wood products
- other house contents.
If you find termites
If you find termites do not disturb them.
Termites retreat when disrupted then find a new attack point. This makes it harder to trace their nest.
Call a pest control contractor to arrange an inspection. Knox City Council does not give recommendations on termite companies in the area.
There are a few ways to prevent termite damage:
- regular property and building checks
- fix any plumbing or roof leaks or draining issues
- don't build up garden beds against walls
- don't block or cover sub-floor vents
- don't stack materials against walls
- sub-floor areas should be dry and well-ventilated
- avoid storing cellulose products in the sub-floor space
- use termite-resistant timber for works around the property, including retaining walls
- use metal stirrups for verandah and gateposts
- check and clean timber decks regularly.
Termite statement for building permits
If you are applying for a building permit you will need to complete our termite statement and checklist.
More about termites
Read more about termites and termite management on the Victorian Building Authority website.
Contact Building Services and we will get back to you.
Or call our Building Services team on 9298 8125.